13. Getting to and from Cape Reinga
The best time to walk Te Araroa | Choosing a direction | How long it takes | Fitness and experience | Permits and fees | Accomodation | Clothing and equipment | Cost | Visas | Safety precautions | Fishing | Resupplying and food parcels | Getting to and from Cape Reinga | Getting to and from Bluff | Stewart Island Rakiura | Taking my dog, bike, horse | NavigatingThere are several options to get to the northernmost point of Te Araroa - Cape Reinga.
- Fly from Auckland to Kerikeri or Kaitaia, then tourist bus or transport service from Kerikeri, Paihia or Kaitaia to Cape Reinga
- Bus from Auckland to Kaitaia, then tourist bus or transport service to Cape Reinga. Refer to the Northland trail notes for the for options.
- Bus from Auckland to Paihia, then tourist bus or transport service to Cape Reinga
iSite tourist information offices - Kaitaia P: 09 408 0879 / Paihia P: 09 402 7345
- Intercity for bus travel
- Air New Zealand flies to Kerikeri
- Barrier Air flies to Kaitaia
- Sand Safari Cape Reinga tour from Kaitaia
- Dolphin Cruises Cape Reinga tour from Paihia/Kerikeri
- Cape Reinga Tours tour from Paihia or Kaitaia
- Tuatara Rentals transport service from Paihia, Kerikeri or Kaitaia
- Real Far North Tours (Johanna Maaka) - P: 09 409 8152 or 020 4152 8785. Tours can include a shopping stop and/or guided tour on way to Cape Reinga. From $80pp or $60pp in groups of two or more.
- Maree Thomas runs a shuttle service from Auckland to the Cape. It is a 7 hour one way shuttle from Auckland to Cape Reinga. There are 3 stops along the way. Two 10-minute restroom stops in Wellsford and Kaitaia and one 30-minute break in Kawakawa. Maree will do door-to-door pickups from your accommodation for 2 or less travellers or a central location point in Auckland CBD. Departure at 7:30am. Estimated arrival time at Cape Reinga is between 2 pm and 3 pm. This allows walkers time to walk-in to Twilight Camp - a 12km walk along the beach from the Cape. Prices: $300pp for 2 people, $250pp for 3 people, $200pp for 4 people and $600 for solo travellers.