News and media
Te Araroa - First Steps
Matthew Road, Warkworth (off Woodcocks Rd) to Puhoi
Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 8:45 AM
Experience your first steps on Te Araroa, right here in Rodney.
Te Araroa - is New Zealand’s famous 3,000 km walking track from Cape Reinga to Bluff and many locals may not know it passes right through Rodney. You don’t have to tramp the whole 3000km in one trip. Many New Zealanders are exploring Te Araroa over their whole lifetime.
The First Steps Te Araroa walk starts at Matthew Road (off Woodcocks Road) , Warkworth and travels over Moirs Hill to Puhoi, approximately 16km and 3.5 hours away.
Friendly local guides will be there to describe the route and point out highlights to look out for. But information for the trail on Te Araroa – The Trail App on Appstore/Google Play or on the website https://www.teararoa.org.nz . Both have a wealth of information on the track, track conditions, timing, elevations and more.
To reserve your spot on either of the following buses please email firstname.lastname@example.org:
- 8am from Puhoi to trail head at Mathew Road
- 2pm from Puhoi to Mathew Road and Walkworth
Koha $10 (cash on the day)
1. Meet at Matthew Road, Warkworth, off Woodcocks Road, (kilometre 503) at 8.45am for a 9.00am start. There is limited parking in Matthew Road/Woodcocks Road or participants are encouraged to organise transport to the start, and for pick up in Puhoi, or reserve a seat on the return bus. The walk is planned for 3.5 hours
2. Bring appropriate walking footwear, clothes, and equipment to meet weather conditions on the day. Please refer to the app or website for description of the track and elevations.
3. Walkers should be aware of their own health and safety requirements and plan accordingly. There is mobile coverage over the length of this section if required.
4. Snacks and water to be carried to meet individuals requirements for the morning.
5. The walk will conclude in Puhoi township (kilometre 519) where you can join us for lunch and refreshments together at the Puhoi Pub.
6. Return bus transport to Matthew Road from Puhoi at 2pm will be available if pre booked- $10.
7. There is an alternate start at the top of Moirs Hill on Moirs Hill Road ( Kilometre 508) which is approximately 1.5 hours from the start.
8. Event details/ updates/cancellations will be posted to Te Araroa – New Zealand’s Trail on Facebook.